Waypoint Residential LLC, a real estate investment firm focused on the U.S. rental housing sector, has added five industry veterans to help distribute Regulation D exempt private placements and other securities offerings sponsored by Waypoint.
Waypoint Residential recently launched Waypoint Financial Group that will operate under the firm’s affiliated broker-dealer Waypoint Direct Investments LLC to distribute Regulation D private placements and other securities offerings sponsored by Waypoint to individual investors via the independent broker-dealer and registered investment advisor channels.
The new hires include:
- Lavea Thomas, senior vice president of national accounts, is responsible for Waypoint Financial Group’s business development and relationship management within the independent broker-dealer channels.
She has 15 years of experience in the alternative investment space and financial securities sales, including serving as senior vice president and director of business development with Realty Capital Securities, executive vice president of national accounts with Megatel Capital Investment, and senior vice president of national accounts with Grubb & Ellis Capital Corporation.
- Weldon Evans, senior vice president, oversees the Eastern division. With more than 30 years of industry experience, Evans was most recently senior vice president at Preferred Capital Securities, where he oversaw the distribution of their preferred stock offerings. He previously held senior positions at Alex Brown and Sons, Bank of America Capital Management and AIG.
- Todd Patterson, senior vice president, is responsible for the Central division. He has more than 18 years of equity and real estate investment experience, delivering investment opportunities to financial intermediaries. Prior to joining Waypoint, he was director of business development for Todd-Veredus Asset Management and regional vice president for ABN AMRO Asset Management, a $34 billion boutique mutual fund company.
- Scott Scherer, senior vice president, runs Waypoint Financial Group’s Western division. Most recently, he served as regional vice president for Preferred Capital Securities. Previously, Scherer worked with Dreyfus/Mellon Bank and The Hartford, raising a combined total of more than $1 billion in assets during his tenure, the company said.
- Karen George, vice president of marketing and operations, leads the effort to create the operational infrastructure for Waypoint Financial Group. Her role includes developing relationships with third-party entities such as custodians and outside technology service providers.
She has nearly 20 years of experience in the financial services industry, specializing in the alternative investment arena. Previously, she held roles at Atlas Energy and Wells Real Estate Funds, where she served as the director of the Mid-Horizon Value Added Fund, overseeing the development, implementation and monitoring of sales processes for a newly designed private placement investment product.
Waypoint recently hired Scott Smith as senior managing director of Waypoint Residential to oversee Waypoint Financial Group’s operations, and Al Haworth as chief executive officer of Waypoint Financial Group who manages IBD/RIA intermediary relationships.
Waypoint Residential, founded in 2011 with six offices nationwide, acquires and develops conventional multifamily, student housing and senior housing properties throughout the United States. Waypoint’s investment activity totals approximately $3.6 billion across 24,000 units.