CPE Credits 1.0 hour
Subject Area 1.0 – Taxes (Federal Tax)
CE Credits 1.0 hour
Course Id# – HURS9-T-00789-20-O
Course Level Basic
Instructional Method Private Event
Advanced Preparation None
Who should attend? CPA – small firm CPA – medium firm CPA – large firm Enrolled Agent
Series: Real Estate Taxation, Taxes, Enrolled Agents
It is critical to know that Opportunity Zone Funds need to first and foremost be a sound investment, with the tax incentives serving only as a secondary benefit. A properly structured Opportunity Zone Fund allows you to defer capital gains tax on the sale of ANY asset while making an investment that potentially will generate tax-free income. In this course, you’ll learn what to look for in Opportunity Zone Fund sponsors.
- Identify federal compliance rules, regulations and timelines
- Discover benefits and reasons to pursue Opportunity Zone Funds
- Identify the differences between Opportunity Zones and 1031 Exchanges
- Discover how to utilize Opportunity Zones to provide shelter to a “blown” 1031 Exchange
- Understand how to use depreciation to shelter income from the project(s) vs. when there is no depreciation recapture
- Implications related to federally tax-free disposition of properties upon sale
- Why investing in San Jose is a wise choice
Sean Raft is Urban Catalyst’s Chief Administrative Officer, General Counsel, and Partner. Sean has substantial experience in real estate, law and securities. He provides senior management as well as advice on organizational, financial, and legal strategies by managing outside vendor relationships to ensure the internal operational needs of the company are met. Furthermore, Sean served as Portfolio Manager of a real estate trust with over $100M in assets where he directly managed business accounts and employees, provided regular financial analysis, pursued investment opportunities, negotiated and drafted contracts and more.
He earned his Juris Doctorate after graduating summa cum laude from Santa Clara University School of Law, holds a bachelor’s degree in biology from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., attended the University of San Francisco’s School of Management, and is also a California-licensed real estate broker.
Host: Sean Raft partnering with CPA Academy
Time: 1:00 PM CST